quote

"Let the world change you... and you can change the world."

Monday, February 25, 2008

Escaping the city

Friday evening I bought a ‘hand phone’ aka. cell phone. Not an easy task for a non-Indonesian speaker. Thought it best to have one for communicating prior to the weekend thus decided to do a bit of shopping on the walk home. Cell phone shops are plentiful. Luckily.

Shop one.
Couldn’t understand my Indonesian nor I theirs. No English.
Shop two.
Couldn’t understand my Indonesian nor I theirs. No English
Shop three.
Couldn’t understand my Indonesian nor I theirs. No English

I sat on the stool along the glass case displaying the phones. Contemplating how to communicate my needs. No doubt looking completely lost as I just stared at the sales guy (who was no older than 15). A group of guys happened by who I recognized from the language school. Did they speak English? No, but were learning and I wanted to help! From Papua on scholarships to study in Bali before heading to Australia, they proved great liaisons! A phone and study help… bonus!

Thus, if you get the urge to make a call I have digits. +62 81 353 189 559

And FYI… My address for the next couple of months:
Jl Tukad Ayung No. 36
Renon-Denpasar 80226
Bali
Indonesia

Four of us escaped north from Denpasar to Ubud for the weekend. A tourist hotspot. Nevertheless, a bit of ‘western’ food and ‘luxuries’ where indeed welcomed! A hot shower. Western ** flush ** toilets. Toilet paper… most places.

Saturday we wondered along one of the Lonely Planet’s suggested walks. It led us through local villages and green rice fields. Children and adults alike wanted to chat. To try out their English. A portion of the walk looped though the Sacred Monkey Sanctuary. I was expecting a few monkeys in the trees… but these were copious and aggressive! Happy for my rabies vaccination! People brought bananas and fruits for the monkeys… which the monkeys seemingly have learned to anticipate as they would prey at pockets, bags, and purses if your hand went in the general area. Some even leapt onto people’s shoulders. Seemingly playful and family centered. They lied about like lazy dogs or pampered cats.

A lotus pond behind us. A temple in front. The dancers and musicians close enough to touch. The Balinese dance is lavish. Expressing a story through music, dance, and costumes. No talking. Beautiful and colorful. Shimmering. Slightly creepy. The performers eyes bulge and roll. Their fingers quiver and shake.


No comments:

Post a Comment