quote

"Let the world change you... and you can change the world."

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Dancing the night away (June 23, 2008)

My headlamp is hands down the best investment ever. Battery operated ipod speakers and exercise ball (although the local high fat, sugary diet keeps my abs of steel hidden) tie for second.

Indeed, I get a chuckle from the neighbors when I sport the headlamp about the house on the now near nightly electric outages. Nevertheless, its convenience is unmatched. Candles are fine, but for mobility purposes inefficient.

The electric goes out. Life continues merely cloaked in darkness. Utter darkness by 6pm. The streets fill with the glare of motorcycle headlights. Burning barrels blaze as the daily accumulated rubbish is burned roadside. People congregating for both the warmth and the light. Wrapped in the traditional woven ikat fabrics. The streets prove a safer pathway for pedestrians than the sidewalks. The zipping motors give warning. Contrarily, the sinister holes in the sidewalk wait hungrily to gobble you up! The number of electric generators is growing. Rapidly. A chorus of hums, buzzes, and roars filtering through the darkness. Lights. Candles. Lights. Candles. Shops alternating.

Indeed, the blackouts can be an inconvenience. Nevertheless, I am not so sure my nightly activities would differ that much with the power. True, I am fortunate to have the ability to watch dvd’s on my laptop (yeah for a back-up battery!) and loose myself in the pages of People and Vanity Fair… although knowingly that my English language dvds and magazines will someday be in limited supply. So what else? My neighbors no doubt are curious about what goes on in the dark next door. Unashamedly, Spice Girls and Aqua ring from my ipod speakers. Dance party ‘08! By flickering candle light, I groove and boogie along with my shadow on the wall. We’re a pretty stellar duo… at least we think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment