quote

"Let the world change you... and you can change the world."

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Stocking up. (19 August 2008)

Last night in tropical paradise, before heading back to the realities of life in a developing country. Night out in a club? To the beach? To Kuta or Legian booming with people and life? No. I go grocery shopping. And it’s fantastic! Partially fueled by the lack of pre-packaged goods from abroad in the local markets. Partially fueled by my (admittedly bizarre) love of grocery shopping. I stock up on little ‘luxuries’ like granola, dried fruits, capers, olives, and heaps of dark chocolates (which was probably devoured much too quickly). Whole black peppers and pepper mill. I buy boxes of Weet-bix and grainy crackers. Coffee that’s not powdered or freeze dried. Green teas. Nutella and rich honey, yum! And whole wheat bread. Bread is something I’d buy in bulk in the states. One for the trip home from the supermarket or bakery, two for later. I stared longingly at the cheeses and yoghurts, but resisted the irrational temptations. Nevertheless, I did allow myself to purchase a supply of soy milk for the days when powdered milk just won’t cut it. And The Economist, to catch up on the outside world. Dusted off the visa card (when was the last time someone swiped this thing?) as not to feel too guilty for spending nearly an entire monthly allowance in one go at the check-out counter.

I’m giddy with excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment