quote

"Let the world change you... and you can change the world."

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sandwiches (8 September)

Perhaps the best sandwich in the history of sandwiches.

Admittedly, I’m not much of a sandwich eater… a fan of all it’s parts individually but in the collective state would rather disassemble to consume. Honestly, not even in elementary school would you find a sandwich in my packed lunches. No bologna. No PB&J. No chicken salad. Nothing hidden between two slices of bread. Except perhaps for the rare mustard and potato chip sandwich. And I am a Subway fan but that’s a sub not a sandwich. Nevertheless this masterpiece was delightful. Absolutely delightful. Crafted by my very own two hands.

Perhaps it was the satisfaction of the first veggies harvested from my ‘garden’ (postage stamp size… how I dream of having a bountiful spread). Perhaps it was the lavish treat of incredibly ultra processed, no-need-to-refrigerate, comes in a box ‘cheese’ and vacuum packed, whole grainy goodness, similar to cardboard ‘bread’. Or the grey pupon mustard from my Balinese grocery shopping trip.

No. I believe in this case, it was the assemblage. Each ingredient enriching the flavor of the previous layer. Full and fresh and delicious.

Or maybe it just wasn’t rice??

No comments:

Post a Comment