quote

"Let the world change you... and you can change the world."

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Feeding the garden. (7 January 2009)

Today proved to be a very exciting day. It was the day that my compost was ready to apply to the garden. Wahoo!!!! Oh, the simplest of things.

Good stuff. Dark and heavy rich. Like giving a multi-vitamin, a little extra oomph, to my seedlings. To my extremely prolific parsley and cilantro. Mixed into the wet soil of the tiny (although perfect for one) garden. Indeed it may be a mere 4x4 space, which I converted from a cement wash area with the help of my neighbors left-over bamboo and plastic bags to keep the dirt from escaping, nevertheless, it has proven a fabulous after work activity. These plants are spoiled with plenty of TLC. Moreover, it’s just impossible to find beets, spinach, and fresh herbs in markets… staples! If only brusslespouts didn’t demand such space…

Try to explain the concept of compost to friends and neighbors was complex. A bucket of scrapes? Why not feed it to the pigs? I don’t have a pig, but I do indeed have a hungry garden. Nevertheless, I most likely won’t be able to reap, to eat, the benefits of a veggie bounty, as I’m anticipating a re-location as soon as accommodation is secured to the sweaty, goat inhabited, almost town of Mbay. But the next tenet will be very lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment