quote

"Let the world change you... and you can change the world."

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Playing a little catch-up…

I arrived in Zambia July 8th. After an arduous whaling trip; a week split between Bali and Nusa Lembongan; a two week vacation with my parents in Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore; back to Bali for several days; home to Flores to pack up all my possessions; a farewell in Mbay and Maumere; and finally rounding out with a couple of days for sunning beachside Bali.

Exhausting.

In lieu of a return ticket back to the states (as any good daughter/sister/relation/friend would do when offered a free trip home) I’ve negotiated a short term placement with VSO in Zambia. Waiting for more news on the visa situation… another postponement has pushed back the decision until (perhaps) sometime in August. Perhaps November. Perhaps February… this is a country notorious for it’s concept of ‘jam karat’ (rubber time). I’m staying open to opportunities. Here. There. Where ever… as long as there is a plane ticket and job waiting for me. And preferably a white sand beach… but that’s negotiable.

At least for the next couple of months, I am the Agri-business Advisor for the Chipata District Farmers Association (CDFA). Funny thing is, they don’t have any agri-business. It seems to be a bit of wishful thinking. Nevertheless, I am charged with developing some new spangled idea for increasing the incomes of the local farmers. The ideas and expectations are nothing less than grandiose. Being waltzed around town, introduced as an agribusiness expert is the epitome of embarrassment. More like a semi-unemployable bum who regularly attended classes on the topic (ie. geek) and can more or less feign comprehension. A total sham indeed I assure you.

No comments:

Post a Comment