quote

"Let the world change you... and you can change the world."

Sunday, June 20, 2010

3 dogs and a monkey. (2 February 2010)

VSO is renting me a kost (a private room in a family’s home) for the next couple of weeks while I catch up on language and wait for the visa to clear. They are an inquisitive lot, but always friendly. Unlike their pets. A rather large grey monkey kept in a rather small grey cage. A lazy turtle and his fishy friends in a cement ‘puddle’. Several noisy birds. And three angry dogs. The dogs seem to have an acute sense of smell as I walk towards the metal gate each afternoon or evening they go crazy. Barking. Growling. Gnashing. Pouncing. To open the gate I just have to slip my hand through a small hole at the bottom and lift the stop. The family assure me to coo to the dogs and sing their names. Right. These dogs are hungry for human (aka my) flesh. Plus, with major rabies problem in Bali… nooooo thank you. Therefore I shall patiently wait each day for someone to come rushing out to see who might be the intruder and open the gate. It’s me…


**********


Ibu brings brown sticky goo. Remember gak? Sweet and slightly salty with small lumps that remind me of fish eyes. Typically a huge fan of Indonesian food… but this goes on the never to eat again list. The toilet wasn’t even a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment